Monday, September 22, 2008

Crazy Days!

Last night after Travis and I enjoyed dinner at my parent's house, we decided to go grab some stuff from the house in Phx. We both had stuff that we needed to pick up, so we drove together. As we were turning onto 38th Drive we saw between 15-25 cop cars blocking off JUST my street. There was also a police helicopter hovering the area with it's spot light shining all around. The cops told me I couldn't get to my house and that I needed to leave.

This morning I went back to make sure my house was ok... The house was fine and the alarm was still set, so I was golden. That whole night previous I was worried I had a fugitive camped out in my empty house. One thing that I forgot to take (other than appliances and computer desks) was my two rifles and my shot gun with matching ammo. I had about 500+ rounds of shotgun shells sitting next to my shotgun. So after loading it all up in to the truck, I talked to one of my neighbors across the street I found out the skinny... And here it is from the news reporter's mouth:

"PHOENIX -- A barricade situation in north Phoenix ended late Sunday night with the arrest of a man suspected of shooting a tow truck operator.
Tow truck driver wounded

Police have identified the suspect as Jess Corman, 26. They have not, however, identifed the 40-year-old shooting victim. Police say that man's injuries do not appear to be life threatening.

The situation started when the tow truck driver delivered a vehicle to a residence in north Phoenix near 35th Avenue and Thunderbird Road Sunday evening.

Police say Corman came out of the residence to pay the tow bill. At one point, he went inside the house and when he returned, he had an assault rifle and shot multiple rounds at the victim, striking him several times in the legs.

Corman reportedly believed that the driver was taking too long to unload the car and had stolen the keys.

The wounded driver got into his truck and tried to leave the scene, but crashed into a home across the street.

Neighbors helped the driver until emergency crews arrived on the scene.

Corman, in the meantime, went back into the house and barricaded himself inside.

After officers got the victim to safety, a lengthy negotiation took place. Corman eventually came out and surrendered to police at about midnight.

During the standoff, Corman lit fireworks in the direction of the police helicopter, said Sgt. Tommy Thompson of the Phoenix Police Department. No damage was done with those fireworks.

Police say the investigation is ongoing.

Corman has been booked on charges of attempted second-degree murder, endangerment and unlawful discharge of a weapon.

The wounded tow truck driver is expected to recover."

It was definitely a crazy night by the way things are sounding. I'm glad I live in a nice little community in Buckeye now.!

No comments: